Sometimes you just need a good laugh and it seems that the gym offers a lot of funny content for comics today. What I have here are some of the funniest skits about working out and the gym that I love to watch over and over and over again.
Check these out and if you have other videos that you enjoy, share them with me. Continue reading Gym Comedy
Exercise selection is going to be an absolutely vital component of what differentiates a poor strength program from a GREAT one.
Basically, the exercises that you choose to use in your program are going to inﬂuence not only how strong you become but also how many calories you burn during that workout (or more so afterwards), how many muscle ﬁber’s get worked, what type of hormonal release you see from the training as well as how long it takes you to complete your workout.
Today, I want to get you set up with the best exercises to perform so that each and every one of your workouts produces optimal results.
Now, being that I know you don’t want to waste your time on exercises that don’t produce results, we’re going to ensure that you are only doing the exact exercises that will bring you success.
100% Results from your 100% Effort. That’s the way we bring it!
You typically have two different categories of exercises to choose from: compound exercises and isolated exercises.
Compound exercises are my preferred weapon of choice since they recruit the most muscles being worked, burn more calories and produce the fastest results possible.
Isolation exercises have their place but should not take priority in any strength program.
Here is a list of some of my favorites. The following are excellent examples of compound exercises:
When performing these movements you are accomplishing two distinct things.
First, they work at least two or more muscles at the same time.
Take the squat for example. Sure, you’re going to hit the lower body hard – quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes but do you realize you’re also getting amazing upper body work in? The squat will build stronger abs than any crunch off the floor ever could. Talk about a full body exercise.
And second, you have multiple joint movement. Looking at the squats, you’ll be moving the knees, hips and ankles.
Once again, greater body activation. The more of your body you can get involved in every single activity you do, the better your results are going to be.
For the person looking for maximum fat loss and some great muscle building, compound movements are the KING and what your exercise routine should be built upon.
Now, before we neglect anything, isolation exercises do have their place.
So what are isolation exercises? Isolation exercises target one single speciﬁc muscle group. For example, they include movements such as:
….and so on. All of these are only going to be working one joint and one muscle group. That right there is THE huge difference between compound and isolation exercises.
I’ve noticed over the years that many people working out in the gym today are using 80% isolation exercises and about 20% compound exercises. This is a big reason why they never get the results they truly want and rarely see any progress.
That won’t be you though. Because we’re going to take your workout program and primarily focus on the exercises that will bring you results… which is?
Yep! You got it – Compound Movements.
This isn’t to say you can’t do any isolation work though. I know you have some speciﬁc areas you want to target. Maybe you want to ﬁrm up the back of your arms (which would be your triceps) so that you feel more comfortable in sleeveless shirts or perhaps you want more leg deﬁnition and decrease the inner thigh ﬂab.
Whatever your goal, it can help to add one or two isolated exercises just for that muscle group to really push it to the limit but always remember that they will be getting worked when you do your compound exercises as well.
One last point I want to stress when it comes to exercise selection is, forget about all those lies you’ve heard about shaping and toning your muscles with sculpting exercises and light weight, IT’S COMPLETE B.S.!!
The truth is, muscles respond best to exercises where you’re lifting a maximum amount of weight and increasing the overall level of tension that the muscle has, compound lifts are going to help with this.
And ladies, trust me on this, you won’t build big and bulky muscles by lifting heavy without the aid of anabolic steroids or other performance enhancing drugs.
To sum it up remember these key points about exercise selection:
1. Build your routines around compound movements ﬁrst
2. Add in isolation exercises to speciﬁcally target trouble areas
3. Lift hard and heavy – Don’t be afraid of heavy weight, there is no such thing as shaping and toning
Get it Done!
Over 20 years ago my life changed. I had a lower back injury that sidelined my life, caused me to gain a ton of weight and sent me into depression.
I had a choice to make… Accept that this was now my life at the age of 23 and suffer every day and live a life of mediocrity or do something about it… I chose the latter.
During my strength and fitness journey I’ve been sidelined more times than I can count from that lower back injury resurfacing and a shoulder issue (bad form on Bench press related) that took me away from lifting for a solid year.
I could of easily said, we’ll… It’s over… That would of just been an excuse though. That would of been settling for mediocrity again.
Through all of my experiences, both good and bad, I’ve ALWAYS found a way to stay active and IN the gym.
I’ve picked up running and yoga when lifting wasn’t an option.
The gym has always been my place of growth and personal development. It’s helped me overcome self esteem issues, depression, anxiety and stress.
You’ll never see me make excuses not to be active or in the gym, that would be me turning my back on the very thing that gave me LIFE.
So many people will take a little hit and their poor ego gets bruised so bad that they just quit. Because they’ve decided they can’t anymore because of an injury or setback. What the 🙊 ever.
That’s simply an excuse and weakness.
When you want something bad enough you find a way, no matter what. Or you find an excuse.
And no one will call you out on it because mediocrity is everywhere. Mediocrity is the norm. Mediocrity is safe. Mediocrity is weak.
My life is BUILT being as far away from mediocrity as possible.
You decide what you’re going to be day in and day out.
Are you settling for a mediocre life? Or are you DOING something about it today?
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that Sunday night was the premier of the long awaited final season of Game of Thrones that’ll conclude in 6 short episodes.
Along with all the excitement and buzz that surrounds the show, one of the star’s, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, otherwise known as Thor to the Strongman world, who also plays the mountain in GOT and is the current World’s Strongest Man, made headlines with his revealing of steroid use.
Although this is no where near a shock to the Strongman or any strength sport community, the internet couldn’t contain itself for the star’s prominent and no apologies given testimony.
I won’t even begin to try and debate as to whether or not Performance Enhancement Drugs are morally correct or cheating. To each their own.
However, I thought I would share my thoughts on the ONE Performance Enhancing and LEGAL tactic everyone should be using to make way better strides in their strength, fitness and health goals.
This ONE thing has been shown to:
- Reduce Stress. …
- Reduce Inflammation. …
- Make You More Alert. …
- Improve Your Memory. …
- Help You Lose Weight. …
- Help Make You “Smarter” …
- Help Reduce Your Risk of Depression.
- Help The Body Repair Itself
- Improve Your Performance Everywhere (in the weight room, more energy, better gains, etc)
You may be asking, what is this wonderful supplement or drug that has all these amazing benefits.
The answer may surprise you because its so simple to implement and you’ll probably think I’m crazy since it’s been at your disposal all along.
Simply put, it’s SLEEP.
I mean really, if the scale goes up and your clothes are fitting better, and you’re looking awesome in the mirror then its muscle gain so who the hell cares what the scale says!
I think Arnold says it best here –
- Avoid Stress – I know, in today’s world Stress seems to be a part of life so easier said than done but try to do this with your very best effort
- Keep your workouts Short – 45 – 60 Minutes, TOPS
- Don’t do excessive amounts of aerobic exercise
- Get 8-9 Hours of sleep every night
- Surround yourself with happy people and get away from negative people and negativity as a whole
- Meditate / Pray for 30 Minutes per day. Get out in nature away from it all, take a walk, relax. You need this time for YOU!
- Set a Bed Time and Stick To It – Make sure you are getting an average of 8 Hours of Sleep Every Night. Trust me, there is nothing going on that HAS to take your sleep time away from you, (unless you’re a Mother of an infant, I’ll give you that)
- TURN OFF THE TV, cell phone, computer and any other devices that could interrupt your sleep – do this at least 30-60 minutes before bedtime
- Wind down for 30-60 minutes before Bedtime – read a book, turn off the TV, meditate, write in a journal. Practice calming the mind before lights out
- Keep a notebook on your nightstand – Instead of laying there thinking about everything you have to do the next day, write down your to do list for the next day and let it rest along with you. Again, nothing is that urgent that it needs to keep you up or get done at this very moment. Something great psychologically happens when you write things down as well… all of a sudden you’re able to stop thinking about that task and your brain can calm down and rest.
- Don’t have caffeine within 3-5 hours of bedtime, maybe longer is you’re really caffeine sensitive
- Finish your last meal 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- STAY HYDRATED and keep the room temperature cool. You’ll get a much better nights sleep when your body temperature (which drops at night) matches the room. Everybody is different so you may need to experiment with this.
- Get in a great workout regularly – Tire yourself out. By leading an active lifestyle you’re body will want and NEED its rest.
- Wake up the same time every morning Don’t hit that snooze button or sleep in. By establishing regular sleep patterns or a normal bedtime and wake up time you’ll make it a routine for your body to get the required rest it needs.
This past week I received an email from Brian who wanted some ideas on some great upper body strength training exercises that they could do from home.
His message went something to the tune of, “Help! Summer is on the way and The Suns coming Out. I need some home exercises to build my arms so I can have the Gunz Out.”
No problem Brian, this should help.
Here are my TOP 5 Killer Exercises for a Killer Summer Body!
1. Rope Climb / Pull-ups / Inverted Rows – Ok, I know Pull-ups aren’t doable yet for everyone so I have some different progressions until you can get your feet off the ground and body up to new heights. Lets start with the lessor of these 3 exercises (although still very challenging) The Inverted Row. You can use the Kitchen table or throw a strong rope around a low hanging branch of a tree in your yard. Perform this exercise by getting up under your table and pulling your chest up as seen in the pic below. From here you can move into the Assisted Rope Climb. Essentially the same movement as the inverted row, you’ll start by lying flat on the ground and grasping the rope. You’ll climb the rope hand over hand until you are almost in a full standing position. Keeping your feet in contact with the ground at all times reverse the movement by walking hand over hand back down till your laying flat on the ground again. Both of these exercises are great for beginners who can’t get their first pull-up yet or struggle to climb a rope.
2. Push-ups – These are the most basic of all upper body pressing movements however there are many variations to take it up a level. Choose from regular, close grip, wide grip, spider crawl, 2x10s, plyometric, weighted, etc – Check out this video of so many different variations.
3. Odd Object Throw – This one is as basic as it sounds but a heck of a lot of fun and will build tremendous strength and give you a great metabolic conditioning workout as well (cardio to burn fat!) Execute this movement by finding any large, heavy object (Big Rocks, Bricks, Concrete Blocks, Weighted Medicine Ball, Sandbag, Even a Dumbbell) pick it up off the ground and heave it as far as you can with a variation of different throws.
4. Sledge Hammer Chops / Split Wood – Sometimes, the ol’ fashioned household chores growing up were the best workouts I have ever done. Splitting and sawing wood was definitely one of those winter chores that I never looked forward to because it was hard work! When we were kids, Dad would do most of the splitting but my brother and I would carry and stack the wood into nice piles to burn later in the wood stove. If you don’t have firewood to cut, get out a heavy sledgehammer and “chop wood” by hitting an old tire. The heavier the hammer, the better the workout.
5. Farmer Carry – One of my all time favorite movements that’s pretty much the Ultimate in a Strength and Conditioning exercise. Not only will you test your entire bodies strength and endurance from your grip, to forearms, biceps, shoulders, traps, upper back, core and even legs but you’ll also be huffing and puffing trying to manage the weight for more distance or time. Of course once you get good at a certain weight, its time to take it up or increase your distance, time, etc. Simply grab 2 heavy objects in your hands and start walking. Keep your body as tall as you can (think tall spine) and try not to drop. Don’t need anything expensive here, just grab a couple of 5 Gallon buckets and fill them with water or sand. They’ll get the job done!
So there you go.
5 Great Upper body (and really full body) drills you can do at home with things you already have laying around.
Try these exercises on this week and let me know how you do.
Get Work Done.
I got to thinking about the several hundreds of client transformations that I helped over the years.
For almost two decades, I have worked with so many men and women who possess different personalities, body types, emotions, habits, challenges, health issues, physical complications, work schedules and family dynamics that it would seem it would take a different strategy and approach to help each individual for their own personal success… and to some degree that is very true.
I have definitely learned a lot over the years that the text books just don’t teach you about addressing difficult challenges and meeting the personal needs of each individual client.
And with each person that I have worked with I can tell you a unique story about how they accomplished their strength and fitness goals.
But even with my proven track record, there are still some who haven’t yet even begun their strength and fitness journey.
I got to thinking about this and then I had my AH-HA moment.
I recently discovered that there is ONE THING that separates those who get amazing results from those who don’t even attempt to start.
Even in pursuit of my own personal goals, whether it be passing or improving my score in the APFT (Military fitness test), fat loss, rehabbing my lower back or improving strength & athleticism (which are my goals today), I had one thing that kept me driven and determined to reach my goals that were and are important to me…
And that one thing, that one common bond that I share with my cliental that has had tremendous success and the one thing that should drive you is Frustration!
You actually need to GET ANGRY to Make Results Happen!
I know, this isn’t the same speech you’re use to hearing from me with Positive Mindset and such but hear me out on this.
It’s only when you are Truly Frustrated with where you are currently at…
It’s only when you are Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired…
It’s only when you are at your weakest point…
It’s only when you are finally feed up with being overweight, out of shape, zero energy, feeling sick, weak, feeling unattractive, , insert your feelings here_______________.
Whatever that feeling is that has you down and out and miserable, its only when you finally get angry and say enough is 🙊ing enough is when you will actually do something about it and be serious enough to make the changes necessary to reclaim your strength, fitness and health.
When you allow yourself to get angry and attack your goals with a vengeance you will find yourself UNSTOPPABLE!
Nothing will step in your path of rage as you stare down the limitations you placed on yourself and discover they no longer have a hold on you, that you are in control of your strength, fitness and health and that you do have the will-power and drive to get work done and accomplish your goals.
Just like when Bruce Banner has had enough and he transforms into the HULK – He has to GET ANGRY and then he SMASHES everything in his path.
That anger will be your fuel to use after years and years of frustration and you will break barriers and become the absolute BEST version of yourself.
You see, it has been in my personal experience that those who finally say enough are the ones who truly find that inner warrior to Get Work Done and change what they don’t like about themselves.
It’s this trigger that sets them off and they break out of the mold that once held them back. In fact, once they start making the transition into the new confident, vibrant, healthy and stronger person they want to be, they never want to experience that old self again.
I’ve seen it time and time again and heard the same story over and over again from those who went from:
- Overweight and feeling unattractive to fit and feeling sex
- Weak and feeling insecure to strong and feeling confident
- Health issues and life threatening illness to healthy and medication free
They all have said the same thing to me…
“I hated where I was and it was TIME for me to change.”
Yes, these words come out from their mouths – HATE, UNATTRACTIVE, DISGUSTED, MAD, DEPRESSED, WEAK, INSECURE, FAT, UGLY – these are not words that express any type of good feeling about one self that’s for sure…
So if you look in the mirror and have any of these adjectives depicting how you feel or how you look at yourself my advice to you today, as in – RIGHT NOW is to get angry and do something about it!
No sugar coating, coddling, pat on the back, its gonna be ok softness here – GET ANGRY and GET TO WORK!
If you desire to be more, to do more then you need to know that the time is now.
HULK OUT – GET MAD and DO SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!
- Throw out the junk food that clutters up the kitchen
- Get Outside and go for a 30 minute walk
- Write down what you don’t like and how you’re going to fix it – this is called setting goals
And if you who are looking for the perfect timing – let me be very clear…
THERE WILL NEVER BE A PERFECT TIMING!
You think you’re busy now? I guarantee your life will continue to be busy and become busier as time marches on. You must make the commitment and the time to yourself.
I get it – You have a full time job, maybe two or three jobs…
A demanding family at home…
We all have the SAME 24 hours in the day and life is not going to slow down – I guarantee it. If you’re angry enough you’re going to do something about it today.
If you’re ok and not frustrated with the way you are, you will make excuses and remain the same.
If you need help with any of this, hit me up… Simply send me a text 804-274-8315 with “I’m ready to HULK OUT!” and we’ll explore different options finding one that will work for you.
Nothing happens without the right mindset
This is either going to be a hard lesson for you, or an empowering lesson, but it is the truth you need to hear.
If you are not ready to change your way of thinking… meaning you stop telling yourself you can’t or that you’re not ready, then you are not going to get the results you want.
We need to get this very straight. Your way of thinking gets you to where you will end up going.
If you come into a new fitness program thinking, “O.K. I’ll TRY once again to lose weight and get in shape,” then you have already failed.
“Do or do not; there is no try!” (Remember Yoda teaching that?)
If you won’t commit to putting in 100% effort and come into this with all your heart and desire to succeed, you will not even make it through the ﬁrst week.
Please, don’t take me the wrong way. I am not being mean. I am being honest.
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right.” – Henry Ford
Yeah, I’m laying in on pretty thick with the quotes, but the point is, you have to believe in yourself!
The reason people try and fail over and over again is because they believe in a product, a diet pill, a workout program, even a personal trainer but they never put the trust or belief into themselves to do what it takes to get the job done!
You can try every single program out there, every single personal trainer or strength coach in the world including myself but if you come into it with a negative attitude; if you tell yourself you are not able to lose weight, if you tell yourself it’s just not possible, that its hopeless; then nothing, no program, no trainer is going to work for you!
In order to become conﬁdent and strong you MUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF FIRST!
I cannot possibly stress this enough. I know you have been let down in the past, I know you are tired of being tired, stressed, over weight and frustrated but you need to reprogram your thinking, right now, start telling yourself you CAN do this!
- Lose the Fat!
- Get Into Better Shape!
- Become Stronger!
- Find time to Exercise!
- Eat Healthy!
You CAN and you WILL! With everything I have to give I will PROVE this to you; I am just asking that you start by believing in yourself FIRST!
Take Out the Head Trash and Get RID of all the negative inﬂuences that will destruct your efforts!
- The Past Failures!
- The Broken Promises you made to yourself
- The EXCUSES!!!
SO WHAT? If you have medical conditions, past surgeries, depression, bad knees, arthritis, a case of the Mondays, the Tuesdays, the Wednesdays! excuses, Excuses, EXCUSES, I don’t buy into them! EVER!!!
You CAN and you WILL get the results that you want, that you desire and that you NEED IN ORDER TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Are you with me? Or have I totally upset you in ways that are unforgivable???
Yes! I am in your face about this but I’m willing to bet its exactly what you have needed!
I’ll let your so called friends tell you that you are ﬁne, that you look great, that you shouldn’t worry about exercising because you have too many health problems, that you’re big boned, its genetics, that you need to relax and take it easy or that you work hard so you don’t have time to exercise.
The way I see it you have one of two options:
• Listen to them and stay exactly where you are at now or
• Listen to me and understand that I am a YOUR Coach who will tell you like it is and help you get where you really want to be.
If you’re still reading this and have made up your mind that you CAN do this, Congratulations!
You have just been handed Key #1 – Make Up Your Mind, to ensure your success.
I look forward to hearing about your awesome and life changing results.
Now get out there and do it!
Of course, if you need any help, reply to this email and lets chat to see if one of my programs is right for you.
The Kettle-Bell swing is one of my favorite exercises to help develop and teach clients explosive power. During the KB swing, you’ll be using your hips as the primary muscle to “throw” the weight up towards the ceiling.
The KB swing has tremendous carry over to strengthen your Jumps, Deadlifts, Squats and Sprints but can also be used as a conditioning drill.
It is a also a great non-impact exercise to use in place of jumping.
Here is how to perform the KB Swing
There are key points to remember in the kettle-bell swing:
- Hinge, don’t squat: The swing is a simple exercise but tends to be done wrong frequently. It is not a squat, it is a powerful hip-hinge movement. That means that the hips go back (hinge), and the knees only bend slightly (they bend fully in a squat). Think about this position as a jump. If you try to jump forward as far as possible, the bottom position is the same position that you use at the bottom of the kettle-bell swing.
- Be explosive with the hips, not the arms: The swing is a ballistic movement. If you think of a bullet fired out of a gun, it receives all of its power initially and then relies on momentum to hit its target. The same goes for the swing. The hips provide the explosive power throwing the kettle-bell up in the air and the arms are there just for the ride. Do not worry about how high the kettle-bell goes. Your goal is to let it float up once the hips have used up their power.
- Protect the back: Do not let the kettle-bell pull the lower back into a bad position at the bottom of the swing. Keep everything tight from your shoulders, to your lats, chest and abdominals all the way to your quads and glutes. Do not lose this tightness in any part of the movement.
- Location on the downswing is important: Ensure the kettle-bell passes between your legs on your upper thighs. If you’re a little intimate with the KB, you’re probably doing it right. Wait until the last second to hinge back and let the kettle-bell go between your upper thighs. If you find your forearms hitting your lower thighs, you are putting too much strain on the lower back.
In this post I am going to explain exactly why you need to take your intensity up in your training and provide exactly how to do so.
The tips I’m about to uncover WILL invoke the body to re-shape with eye popping, muscle definition, causing the opposite sex to sustain neck injuries from whiplash and weakness in the knees…
Ok, little dramatic there but you get the idea.
Through the concepts I’m going to describe to you, you’re going to learn exactly what you need to do to rev your metabolic rate so high that you’ll burn up body fat even while you’re at home kicked back watching t.v.
Sound too good to be true?
If you’re like most people, this is exactly how you would LOVE to be able to lose fat. You’re doing very little work but melting fat off your body.
Possible? Absolutely. But, only after you put in the hard work with your trainingﬁrst.