Sometimes you just need a good laugh and it seems that the gym offers a lot of funny content for comics today. What I have here are some of the funniest skits about working out and the gym that I love to watch over and over and over again.
Check these out and if you have other videos that you enjoy, share them with me.
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that Sunday night was the premier of the long awaited final season of Game of Thrones that’ll conclude in 6 short episodes.
Along with all the excitement and buzz that surrounds the show, one of the star’s, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, otherwise known as Thor to the Strongman world, who also plays the mountain in GOT and is the current World’s Strongest Man, made headlines with his revealing of steroid use.
Although this is no where near a shock to the Strongman or any strength sport community, the internet couldn’t contain itself for the star’s prominent and no apologies given testimony.
I won’t even begin to try and debate as to whether or not Performance Enhancement Drugs are morally correct or cheating. To each their own.
However, I thought I would share my thoughts on the ONE Performance Enhancing and LEGAL tactic everyone should be using to make way better strides in their strength, fitness and health goals.
This ONE thing has been shown to:
- Reduce Stress. …
- Reduce Inflammation. …
- Make You More Alert. …
- Improve Your Memory. …
- Help You Lose Weight. …
- Help Make You “Smarter” …
- Help Reduce Your Risk of Depression.
- Help The Body Repair Itself
- Improve Your Performance Everywhere (in the weight room, more energy, better gains, etc)
You may be asking, what is this wonderful supplement or drug that has all these amazing benefits.
The answer may surprise you because its so simple to implement and you’ll probably think I’m crazy since it’s been at your disposal all along.
Simply put, it’s SLEEP.
I mean really, if the scale goes up and your clothes are fitting better, and you’re looking awesome in the mirror then its muscle gain so who the hell cares what the scale says!
I think Arnold says it best here –
- Avoid Stress – I know, in today’s world Stress seems to be a part of life so easier said than done but try to do this with your very best effort
- Keep your workouts Short – 45 – 60 Minutes, TOPS
- Don’t do excessive amounts of aerobic exercise
- Get 8-9 Hours of sleep every night
- Surround yourself with happy people and get away from negative people and negativity as a whole
- Meditate / Pray for 30 Minutes per day. Get out in nature away from it all, take a walk, relax. You need this time for YOU!
- Set a Bed Time and Stick To It – Make sure you are getting an average of 8 Hours of Sleep Every Night. Trust me, there is nothing going on that HAS to take your sleep time away from you, (unless you’re a Mother of an infant, I’ll give you that)
- TURN OFF THE TV, cell phone, computer and any other devices that could interrupt your sleep – do this at least 30-60 minutes before bedtime
- Wind down for 30-60 minutes before Bedtime – read a book, turn off the TV, meditate, write in a journal. Practice calming the mind before lights out
- Keep a notebook on your nightstand – Instead of laying there thinking about everything you have to do the next day, write down your to do list for the next day and let it rest along with you. Again, nothing is that urgent that it needs to keep you up or get done at this very moment. Something great psychologically happens when you write things down as well… all of a sudden you’re able to stop thinking about that task and your brain can calm down and rest.
- Don’t have caffeine within 3-5 hours of bedtime, maybe longer is you’re really caffeine sensitive
- Finish your last meal 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- STAY HYDRATED and keep the room temperature cool. You’ll get a much better nights sleep when your body temperature (which drops at night) matches the room. Everybody is different so you may need to experiment with this.
- Get in a great workout regularly – Tire yourself out. By leading an active lifestyle you’re body will want and NEED its rest.
- Wake up the same time every morning Don’t hit that snooze button or sleep in. By establishing regular sleep patterns or a normal bedtime and wake up time you’ll make it a routine for your body to get the required rest it needs.
This past week I received an email from Brian who wanted some ideas on some great upper body strength training exercises that they could do from home.
His message went something to the tune of, “Help! Summer is on the way and The Suns coming Out. I need some home exercises to build my arms so I can have the Gunz Out.”
No problem Brian, this should help.
Here are my TOP 5 Killer Exercises for a Killer Summer Body!
1. Rope Climb / Pull-ups / Inverted Rows – Ok, I know Pull-ups aren’t doable yet for everyone so I have some different progressions until you can get your feet off the ground and body up to new heights. Lets start with the lessor of these 3 exercises (although still very challenging) The Inverted Row. You can use the Kitchen table or throw a strong rope around a low hanging branch of a tree in your yard. Perform this exercise by getting up under your table and pulling your chest up as seen in the pic below. From here you can move into the Assisted Rope Climb. Essentially the same movement as the inverted row, you’ll start by lying flat on the ground and grasping the rope. You’ll climb the rope hand over hand until you are almost in a full standing position. Keeping your feet in contact with the ground at all times reverse the movement by walking hand over hand back down till your laying flat on the ground again. Both of these exercises are great for beginners who can’t get their first pull-up yet or struggle to climb a rope.
2. Push-ups – These are the most basic of all upper body pressing movements however there are many variations to take it up a level. Choose from regular, close grip, wide grip, spider crawl, 2x10s, plyometric, weighted, etc – Check out this video of so many different variations.
3. Odd Object Throw – This one is as basic as it sounds but a heck of a lot of fun and will build tremendous strength and give you a great metabolic conditioning workout as well (cardio to burn fat!) Execute this movement by finding any large, heavy object (Big Rocks, Bricks, Concrete Blocks, Weighted Medicine Ball, Sandbag, Even a Dumbbell) pick it up off the ground and heave it as far as you can with a variation of different throws.
4. Sledge Hammer Chops / Split Wood – Sometimes, the ol’ fashioned household chores growing up were the best workouts I have ever done. Splitting and sawing wood was definitely one of those winter chores that I never looked forward to because it was hard work! When we were kids, Dad would do most of the splitting but my brother and I would carry and stack the wood into nice piles to burn later in the wood stove. If you don’t have firewood to cut, get out a heavy sledgehammer and “chop wood” by hitting an old tire. The heavier the hammer, the better the workout.
5. Farmer Carry – One of my all time favorite movements that’s pretty much the Ultimate in a Strength and Conditioning exercise. Not only will you test your entire bodies strength and endurance from your grip, to forearms, biceps, shoulders, traps, upper back, core and even legs but you’ll also be huffing and puffing trying to manage the weight for more distance or time. Of course once you get good at a certain weight, its time to take it up or increase your distance, time, etc. Simply grab 2 heavy objects in your hands and start walking. Keep your body as tall as you can (think tall spine) and try not to drop. Don’t need anything expensive here, just grab a couple of 5 Gallon buckets and fill them with water or sand. They’ll get the job done!
So there you go.
5 Great Upper body (and really full body) drills you can do at home with things you already have laying around.
Try these exercises on this week and let me know how you do.
Get Work Done.
I got to thinking about the several hundreds of client transformations that I helped over the years.
For almost two decades, I have worked with so many men and women who possess different personalities, body types, emotions, habits, challenges, health issues, physical complications, work schedules and family dynamics that it would seem it would take a different strategy and approach to help each individual for their own personal success… and to some degree that is very true.
I have definitely learned a lot over the years that the text books just don’t teach you about addressing difficult challenges and meeting the personal needs of each individual client.
And with each person that I have worked with I can tell you a unique story about how they accomplished their strength and fitness goals.
But even with my proven track record, there are still some who haven’t yet even begun their strength and fitness journey.
I got to thinking about this and then I had my AH-HA moment.
I recently discovered that there is ONE THING that separates those who get amazing results from those who don’t even attempt to start.
Even in pursuit of my own personal goals, whether it be passing or improving my score in the APFT (Military fitness test), fat loss, rehabbing my lower back or improving strength & athleticism (which are my goals today), I had one thing that kept me driven and determined to reach my goals that were and are important to me…
And that one thing, that one common bond that I share with my cliental that has had tremendous success and the one thing that should drive you is Frustration!
You actually need to GET ANGRY to Make Results Happen!
I know, this isn’t the same speech you’re use to hearing from me with Positive Mindset and such but hear me out on this.
It’s only when you are Truly Frustrated with where you are currently at…
It’s only when you are Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired…
It’s only when you are at your weakest point…
It’s only when you are finally feed up with being overweight, out of shape, zero energy, feeling sick, weak, feeling unattractive, , insert your feelings here_______________.
Whatever that feeling is that has you down and out and miserable, its only when you finally get angry and say enough is 🙊ing enough is when you will actually do something about it and be serious enough to make the changes necessary to reclaim your strength, fitness and health.
When you allow yourself to get angry and attack your goals with a vengeance you will find yourself UNSTOPPABLE!
Nothing will step in your path of rage as you stare down the limitations you placed on yourself and discover they no longer have a hold on you, that you are in control of your strength, fitness and health and that you do have the will-power and drive to get work done and accomplish your goals.
Just like when Bruce Banner has had enough and he transforms into the HULK – He has to GET ANGRY and then he SMASHES everything in his path.
That anger will be your fuel to use after years and years of frustration and you will break barriers and become the absolute BEST version of yourself.
You see, it has been in my personal experience that those who finally say enough are the ones who truly find that inner warrior to Get Work Done and change what they don’t like about themselves.
It’s this trigger that sets them off and they break out of the mold that once held them back. In fact, once they start making the transition into the new confident, vibrant, healthy and stronger person they want to be, they never want to experience that old self again.
I’ve seen it time and time again and heard the same story over and over again from those who went from:
- Overweight and feeling unattractive to fit and feeling sex
- Weak and feeling insecure to strong and feeling confident
- Health issues and life threatening illness to healthy and medication free
They all have said the same thing to me…
“I hated where I was and it was TIME for me to change.”
Yes, these words come out from their mouths – HATE, UNATTRACTIVE, DISGUSTED, MAD, DEPRESSED, WEAK, INSECURE, FAT, UGLY – these are not words that express any type of good feeling about one self that’s for sure…
So if you look in the mirror and have any of these adjectives depicting how you feel or how you look at yourself my advice to you today, as in – RIGHT NOW is to get angry and do something about it!
No sugar coating, coddling, pat on the back, its gonna be ok softness here – GET ANGRY and GET TO WORK!
If you desire to be more, to do more then you need to know that the time is now.
HULK OUT – GET MAD and DO SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!
- Throw out the junk food that clutters up the kitchen
- Get Outside and go for a 30 minute walk
- Write down what you don’t like and how you’re going to fix it – this is called setting goals
And if you who are looking for the perfect timing – let me be very clear…
THERE WILL NEVER BE A PERFECT TIMING!
You think you’re busy now? I guarantee your life will continue to be busy and become busier as time marches on. You must make the commitment and the time to yourself.
I get it – You have a full time job, maybe two or three jobs…
A demanding family at home…
We all have the SAME 24 hours in the day and life is not going to slow down – I guarantee it. If you’re angry enough you’re going to do something about it today.
If you’re ok and not frustrated with the way you are, you will make excuses and remain the same.
If you need help with any of this, hit me up… Simply send me a text 804-274-8315 with “I’m ready to HULK OUT!” and we’ll explore different options finding one that will work for you.
Nothing happens without the right mindset
This is either going to be a hard lesson for you, or an empowering lesson, but it is the truth you need to hear.
If you are not ready to change your way of thinking… meaning you stop telling yourself you can’t or that you’re not ready, then you are not going to get the results you want.
We need to get this very straight. Your way of thinking gets you to where you will end up going.
If you come into a new fitness program thinking, “O.K. I’ll TRY once again to lose weight and get in shape,” then you have already failed.
“Do or do not; there is no try!” (Remember Yoda teaching that?)
If you won’t commit to putting in 100% effort and come into this with all your heart and desire to succeed, you will not even make it through the ﬁrst week.
Please, don’t take me the wrong way. I am not being mean. I am being honest.
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right.” – Henry Ford
Yeah, I’m laying in on pretty thick with the quotes, but the point is, you have to believe in yourself!
The reason people try and fail over and over again is because they believe in a product, a diet pill, a workout program, even a personal trainer but they never put the trust or belief into themselves to do what it takes to get the job done!
You can try every single program out there, every single personal trainer or strength coach in the world including myself but if you come into it with a negative attitude; if you tell yourself you are not able to lose weight, if you tell yourself it’s just not possible, that its hopeless; then nothing, no program, no trainer is going to work for you!
In order to become conﬁdent and strong you MUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF FIRST!
I cannot possibly stress this enough. I know you have been let down in the past, I know you are tired of being tired, stressed, over weight and frustrated but you need to reprogram your thinking, right now, start telling yourself you CAN do this!
- Lose the Fat!
- Get Into Better Shape!
- Become Stronger!
- Find time to Exercise!
- Eat Healthy!
You CAN and you WILL! With everything I have to give I will PROVE this to you; I am just asking that you start by believing in yourself FIRST!
Take Out the Head Trash and Get RID of all the negative inﬂuences that will destruct your efforts!
- The Past Failures!
- The Broken Promises you made to yourself
- The EXCUSES!!!
SO WHAT? If you have medical conditions, past surgeries, depression, bad knees, arthritis, a case of the Mondays, the Tuesdays, the Wednesdays! excuses, Excuses, EXCUSES, I don’t buy into them! EVER!!!
You CAN and you WILL get the results that you want, that you desire and that you NEED IN ORDER TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Are you with me? Or have I totally upset you in ways that are unforgivable???
Yes! I am in your face about this but I’m willing to bet its exactly what you have needed!
I’ll let your so called friends tell you that you are ﬁne, that you look great, that you shouldn’t worry about exercising because you have too many health problems, that you’re big boned, its genetics, that you need to relax and take it easy or that you work hard so you don’t have time to exercise.
The way I see it you have one of two options:
• Listen to them and stay exactly where you are at now or
• Listen to me and understand that I am a YOUR Coach who will tell you like it is and help you get where you really want to be.
If you’re still reading this and have made up your mind that you CAN do this, Congratulations!
You have just been handed Key #1 – Make Up Your Mind, to ensure your success.
I look forward to hearing about your awesome and life changing results.
Now get out there and do it!
Of course, if you need any help, reply to this email and lets chat to see if one of my programs is right for you.
If you’ve been in the fitness game for any amount of time you have undoubtedly come across some sort of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
P90X, CrossFit, Tabata, BodyPump amongst many other popular fitness trends are all variations of HIIT and they do work, until they don’t.
There are several issues I have with HIIT and reasons why this style of training stops working and I’m going to cover all of it in this email.
I’m also going to cover what you should be doing instead to ensure the results keep coming so let’s get into it.
First, what is high intensity interval training.
If you are unfamiliar with HIIT I highly encourage you to Google more info but simply put, HIIT is a time period of going extremely hard on an exercise followed by a short rest or low intensity exercise.
These protocols can be prescribed in many different ways such as Tabata’s famous 20/10/4 – Go hard for 20 seconds, rest for 10 and repeat for 4 rounds.
You also have CrossFit’s complete the workout as fast as possible such as the Fran WOD. Complete 21 thrusters and 21 pull-ups, then 15 thrusters and 15 pull-ups, then 9 thrusters and 9 pull-ups, as fast as possible. Quickest time wins.
Or you could come up with your own HIIT using something as simple as the treadmill. Sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds, slow down and walk for 60 seconds and repeat for x amount of rounds.
I’m not even going to pretend that these methods don’t work. They in fact do and I have personally incorporated these tactics into my own programming at Mayhem Fitness.
These methods have long been the “secret sauce,” of producing fast results in body transformations. Continue reading The Problem With High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
Check out this highlight reel of our athletes in all the fun action!
You can also view each event separately in this YouTube Playlist – CLICK HERE to view on YouTube
After that, my full competition recap is posted in the video below.
In it I address:
- Some of the fears and concerns the athletes went through and how they were able to overcome them
- The breakdown of the events and how our athletes performed with each one
- How our athletes were the talk of the competition amongst their peers
- What it takes to become a Champion
- How to become the Strongest version of yourself and why I say the Ultimate Weapon for Personal Development is not found in school, books, podcasts or videos but comes from a Barbell
You can watch the complete recap here:
- Log Clean & Press – Heaviest weight lifted wins – 3 attempts
- Deadlift Medley – Barbell, Axel Bar + Wagon Wheels, Car Deadlift for reps – Most reps wins
- Stone Putt – Farthest Distance wins
- Yoke Ladder – Carry for 80 feet, dropping at each 20 foot marker adding 50 more pounds. Quickest time wins
- Stone of Steel Over Bar – Most reps wins
WEIGHTS FOR OUR WOMEN ATHLETES
- Log – Most weight lifted – 125
- Deadlift – Bar – 250 / Axel – 275 / Car Deadlift – 570
- Stone Putt – 11lbs
- Yoke Ladder – Started at 200, finished at 350
- Stone of Steel – 175lbs
WEIGHTS FOR MASTERS
- Log – PR at 230
- Deadlift – Bar 405 / Axel – 450 / Car – ???
- Stone Putt – 16lbs
- Yoke Ladder – Started at 400 – finished at 550
- Stone of Steel – 250lbs
Results of our athletes
There were 5 girls competing in the Women’s MiddleWeight Novice division
Log Clean & Press – Celeena finished 1st, Liz took 2nd, Hannah 5th
Deadlift Medley – Hannah took 1st, Celeena 2nd and Liz 3rd
Stone Throw – Celeena 1st, Hannah 3rd, Liz 5th
Yoke Ladder – Hannah 1st, Celeena 2nd, Liz 3rd
Stone Over Bar – Celeena 1st, Hannah 4th, Liz 5th
Overall Points – Celeena 23, Hannah 16 and Liz finished 1 point behind the 3rd place finisher at 12
Celeena Buth took home 1st Place 🏆 in Women’s Novice Middleweight
Hannah Harpold took home 2nd Place 🏅 in Women’s Novice Middleweight
In the Mens’ Masters there were 6 of us competing
In the Log, I finished 2nd (same weight as 1st place but I was slower).
In the Deadlift I finished 3rd (again, tied in reps but slower)
In the Stone Throw I finished 5th and damn near took everybody out so 🙈
In the Yoke Ladder I finished 2nd
In Stone Over Bar I finished 4th
I took home 3rd Place 🎖 with a total of 19 points, 6 points behind 1st.
Here is the Full Score Sheet – Leprechaunscoresheet
Everybody came home a Stronger, more confident Champion version of themselves
From left to right (Liz Stephens, Celeena Buth, Sean Murphy, Hannah Harpold)
If you are ready to become the Strongest and Fittest version of yourself, hit me up for Personal Training or Online Coaching / Programming at email@example.com
Keep Pounding 👊
Special Thanks To: Coach, Sean Coffey for organizing and putting on this event.
Iron Asylum Gym – VA Beach VA for hosting the event and to all the sponsors:
- Southside Harley-Davidson
- Oceana Nutrition Corner
- Brian Latuga
- A7 Intl
- Swōl Food
- Cerberus Strength USA
- Born Primitive
- Warrior Genetics Lab
- 5.11 Tactical
- Strike Force
- London Bridge Trading
- Special Ops Survivors
- Aegis Strength & Conditioning LLC
- Play Again Now – Recovery
- Wasserhund Brewing Company
- Jimmy Dillon
Question: what does this K5 Silverado and Weight training have in common?
Answer: You just can’t beat the old school classics.
I don’t give a damn about the new, flashy and easy…
It simply cannot stand up to the old, rugged and tough.
I’ll put up my barbells, Deadlifts, Squats, Cleans, Pull-Ups, Pushups, Hill Sprints and Jumps vs whatever the hell your circus act is.
So with that settled, next question.
Chevy, Ford or Dodge? And don’t you dare come at me with some hybrid 💩😂😂😂
Keep Pounding Yall 👊