YES! You CAN eat foods you enjoy every single week and still lose fat! Sound awesome… then this training is for you!
If you are someone who wants the absolute BEST results without cutting out all the delicious carbs, tracking your MACRO nutrients and calories is going to be the route for you.
MACROS simply stands for macronutrients which are your big 3 – Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats.
The great thing is, this can be used with just about any eating lifestyle – yes, you can use this in conjunction with Intermittent Fasting, 5-6 meals a day, KETO, etc… what ever works for you. One thing will ALWAYS matter when trying to lose fat and that is calories in vs calories out.
I like this approach when losing fat because it doesn’t restrict my diet, I don’t lose a whole bunch of strength and muscle AND I feel great with lots of energy and its pretty easy to stick to.
Check out this quick video on how we determine your Calories and more importantly your MACROS and then follow the steps below.
Visit TDEEcalculator.net and fill out the information. Again, as suggested in the video, select SEDENTARY lifestyle unless you truly have a very physical and demanding job for 8+ hours a day.
Scroll to where you see the Macronutrient table breakdown and select Maintenance if you want to maintain your current weight, Cutting if you want to lose weight or Bulking if you want to gain weight. Now decide whether you want to follow High Carb, Moderate Carb or Low Carb.
Open MyFitnessPal app on your phone and plug in the numbers you chose. You’ll input your calories for the day and percentages of Protein, Carbs and Fats based on your personal preference of high, moderate or low carb.
Enter your food in daily and start making adjustments as needed over time.
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that Sunday night was the premier of the long awaited final season of Game of Thrones that’ll conclude in 6 short episodes.
Along with all the excitement and buzz that surrounds the show, one of the star’s, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, otherwise known as Thor to the Strongman world, who also plays the mountain in GOT and is the current World’s Strongest Man, made headlines with his revealing of steroid use.
Although this is no where near a shock to the Strongman or any strength sport community, the internet couldn’t contain itself for the star’s prominent and no apologies given testimony.
I won’t even begin to try and debate as to whether or not Performance Enhancement Drugs are morally correct or cheating. To each their own.
However, I thought I would share my thoughts on the ONE Performance Enhancing and LEGAL tactic everyone should be using to make way better strides in their strength, fitness and health goals.
This ONE thing has been shown to:
- Reduce Stress. …
- Reduce Inflammation. …
- Make You More Alert. …
- Improve Your Memory. …
- Help You Lose Weight. …
- Help Make You “Smarter” …
- Help Reduce Your Risk of Depression.
- Help The Body Repair Itself
- Improve Your Performance Everywhere (in the weight room, more energy, better gains, etc)
You may be asking, what is this wonderful supplement or drug that has all these amazing benefits.
The answer may surprise you because its so simple to implement and you’ll probably think I’m crazy since it’s been at your disposal all along.
Simply put, it’s SLEEP.
I mean really, if the scale goes up and your clothes are fitting better, and you’re looking awesome in the mirror then its muscle gain so who the hell cares what the scale says!
I think Arnold says it best here –
- Avoid Stress – I know, in today’s world Stress seems to be a part of life so easier said than done but try to do this with your very best effort
- Keep your workouts Short – 45 – 60 Minutes, TOPS
- Don’t do excessive amounts of aerobic exercise
- Get 8-9 Hours of sleep every night
- Surround yourself with happy people and get away from negative people and negativity as a whole
- Meditate / Pray for 30 Minutes per day. Get out in nature away from it all, take a walk, relax. You need this time for YOU!
- Set a Bed Time and Stick To It – Make sure you are getting an average of 8 Hours of Sleep Every Night. Trust me, there is nothing going on that HAS to take your sleep time away from you, (unless you’re a Mother of an infant, I’ll give you that)
- TURN OFF THE TV, cell phone, computer and any other devices that could interrupt your sleep – do this at least 30-60 minutes before bedtime
- Wind down for 30-60 minutes before Bedtime – read a book, turn off the TV, meditate, write in a journal. Practice calming the mind before lights out
- Keep a notebook on your nightstand – Instead of laying there thinking about everything you have to do the next day, write down your to do list for the next day and let it rest along with you. Again, nothing is that urgent that it needs to keep you up or get done at this very moment. Something great psychologically happens when you write things down as well… all of a sudden you’re able to stop thinking about that task and your brain can calm down and rest.
- Don’t have caffeine within 3-5 hours of bedtime, maybe longer is you’re really caffeine sensitive
- Finish your last meal 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- STAY HYDRATED and keep the room temperature cool. You’ll get a much better nights sleep when your body temperature (which drops at night) matches the room. Everybody is different so you may need to experiment with this.
- Get in a great workout regularly – Tire yourself out. By leading an active lifestyle you’re body will want and NEED its rest.
- Wake up the same time every morning Don’t hit that snooze button or sleep in. By establishing regular sleep patterns or a normal bedtime and wake up time you’ll make it a routine for your body to get the required rest it needs.
If you’ve been in the fitness game for any amount of time you have undoubtedly come across some sort of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).
P90X, CrossFit, Tabata, BodyPump amongst many other popular fitness trends are all variations of HIIT and they do work, until they don’t.
There are several issues I have with HIIT and reasons why this style of training stops working and I’m going to cover all of it in this email.
I’m also going to cover what you should be doing instead to ensure the results keep coming so let’s get into it.
First, what is high intensity interval training.
If you are unfamiliar with HIIT I highly encourage you to Google more info but simply put, HIIT is a time period of going extremely hard on an exercise followed by a short rest or low intensity exercise.
These protocols can be prescribed in many different ways such as Tabata’s famous 20/10/4 – Go hard for 20 seconds, rest for 10 and repeat for 4 rounds.
You also have CrossFit’s complete the workout as fast as possible such as the Fran WOD. Complete 21 thrusters and 21 pull-ups, then 15 thrusters and 15 pull-ups, then 9 thrusters and 9 pull-ups, as fast as possible. Quickest time wins.
Or you could come up with your own HIIT using something as simple as the treadmill. Sprint as fast as you can for 20 seconds, slow down and walk for 60 seconds and repeat for x amount of rounds.
I’m not even going to pretend that these methods don’t work. They in fact do and I have personally incorporated these tactics into my own programming at Mayhem Fitness.
These methods have long been the “secret sauce,” of producing fast results in body transformations. Continue reading The Problem With High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
It’s time to stop passing the buck, playing victim and start taking ownership of your life.
This isn’t a popular topic however those who are always feeling stuck and frustrated are often times the same ones who are always wanting to blame others, their situation or bad luck for where they are in life.
The truth is, you are exactly where you are at right now from the decisions you’ve made.
Can life deal a bad hand?
But it’s up to YOU to decide what you’re going to do, even when the odds are stacked against you.
Do your actions line up with your goals? Or do your actions line up with exactly where you currently are?
Maybe it’s time to take some damn pride in yourself, accept ownership and make it happen!
Keep Pounding 👊