This past week I received an email from Brian who wanted some ideas on some great upper body strength training exercises that they could do from home.
His message went something to the tune of, “Help! Summer is on the way and The Suns coming Out. I need some home exercises to build my arms so I can have the Gunz Out.”
No problem Brian, this should help.
Here are my TOP 5 Killer Exercises for a Killer Summer Body!
1. Rope Climb / Pull-ups / Inverted Rows – Ok, I know Pull-ups aren’t doable yet for everyone so I have some different progressions until you can get your feet off the ground and body up to new heights. Lets start with the lessor of these 3 exercises (although still very challenging) The Inverted Row. You can use the Kitchen table or throw a strong rope around a low hanging branch of a tree in your yard. Perform this exercise by getting up under your table and pulling your chest up as seen in the pic below. From here you can move into the Assisted Rope Climb. Essentially the same movement as the inverted row, you’ll start by lying flat on the ground and grasping the rope. You’ll climb the rope hand over hand until you are almost in a full standing position. Keeping your feet in contact with the ground at all times reverse the movement by walking hand over hand back down till your laying flat on the ground again. Both of these exercises are great for beginners who can’t get their first pull-up yet or struggle to climb a rope.
2. Push-ups – These are the most basic of all upper body pressing movements however there are many variations to take it up a level. Choose from regular, close grip, wide grip, spider crawl, 2x10s, plyometric, weighted, etc – Check out this video of so many different variations.
3. Odd Object Throw – This one is as basic as it sounds but a heck of a lot of fun and will build tremendous strength and give you a great metabolic conditioning workout as well (cardio to burn fat!) Execute this movement by finding any large, heavy object (Big Rocks, Bricks, Concrete Blocks, Weighted Medicine Ball, Sandbag, Even a Dumbbell) pick it up off the ground and heave it as far as you can with a variation of different throws.
4. Sledge Hammer Chops / Split Wood – Sometimes, the ol’ fashioned household chores growing up were the best workouts I have ever done. Splitting and sawing wood was definitely one of those winter chores that I never looked forward to because it was hard work! When we were kids, Dad would do most of the splitting but my brother and I would carry and stack the wood into nice piles to burn later in the wood stove. If you don’t have firewood to cut, get out a heavy sledgehammer and “chop wood” by hitting an old tire. The heavier the hammer, the better the workout.
5. Farmer Carry – One of my all time favorite movements that’s pretty much the Ultimate in a Strength and Conditioning exercise. Not only will you test your entire bodies strength and endurance from your grip, to forearms, biceps, shoulders, traps, upper back, core and even legs but you’ll also be huffing and puffing trying to manage the weight for more distance or time. Of course once you get good at a certain weight, its time to take it up or increase your distance, time, etc. Simply grab 2 heavy objects in your hands and start walking. Keep your body as tall as you can (think tall spine) and try not to drop. Don’t need anything expensive here, just grab a couple of 5 Gallon buckets and fill them with water or sand. They’ll get the job done!
So there you go.
5 Great Upper body (and really full body) drills you can do at home with things you already have laying around.
Try these exercises on this week and let me know how you do.
Get Work Done.
I got to thinking about the several hundreds of client transformations that I helped over the years.
For almost two decades, I have worked with so many men and women who possess different personalities, body types, emotions, habits, challenges, health issues, physical complications, work schedules and family dynamics that it would seem it would take a different strategy and approach to help each individual for their own personal success… and to some degree that is very true.
I have definitely learned a lot over the years that the text books just don’t teach you about addressing difficult challenges and meeting the personal needs of each individual client.
And with each person that I have worked with I can tell you a unique story about how they accomplished their strength and fitness goals.
But even with my proven track record, there are still some who haven’t yet even begun their strength and fitness journey.
I got to thinking about this and then I had my AH-HA moment.
I recently discovered that there is ONE THING that separates those who get amazing results from those who don’t even attempt to start.
Even in pursuit of my own personal goals, whether it be passing or improving my score in the APFT (Military fitness test), fat loss, rehabbing my lower back or improving strength & athleticism (which are my goals today), I had one thing that kept me driven and determined to reach my goals that were and are important to me…
And that one thing, that one common bond that I share with my cliental that has had tremendous success and the one thing that should drive you is Frustration!
You actually need to GET ANGRY to Make Results Happen!
I know, this isn’t the same speech you’re use to hearing from me with Positive Mindset and such but hear me out on this.
It’s only when you are Truly Frustrated with where you are currently at…
It’s only when you are Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired…
It’s only when you are at your weakest point…
It’s only when you are finally feed up with being overweight, out of shape, zero energy, feeling sick, weak, feeling unattractive, , insert your feelings here_______________.
Whatever that feeling is that has you down and out and miserable, its only when you finally get angry and say enough is 🙊ing enough is when you will actually do something about it and be serious enough to make the changes necessary to reclaim your strength, fitness and health.
When you allow yourself to get angry and attack your goals with a vengeance you will find yourself UNSTOPPABLE!
Nothing will step in your path of rage as you stare down the limitations you placed on yourself and discover they no longer have a hold on you, that you are in control of your strength, fitness and health and that you do have the will-power and drive to get work done and accomplish your goals.
Just like when Bruce Banner has had enough and he transforms into the HULK – He has to GET ANGRY and then he SMASHES everything in his path.
That anger will be your fuel to use after years and years of frustration and you will break barriers and become the absolute BEST version of yourself.
You see, it has been in my personal experience that those who finally say enough are the ones who truly find that inner warrior to Get Work Done and change what they don’t like about themselves.
It’s this trigger that sets them off and they break out of the mold that once held them back. In fact, once they start making the transition into the new confident, vibrant, healthy and stronger person they want to be, they never want to experience that old self again.
I’ve seen it time and time again and heard the same story over and over again from those who went from:
- Overweight and feeling unattractive to fit and feeling sex
- Weak and feeling insecure to strong and feeling confident
- Health issues and life threatening illness to healthy and medication free
They all have said the same thing to me…
“I hated where I was and it was TIME for me to change.”
Yes, these words come out from their mouths – HATE, UNATTRACTIVE, DISGUSTED, MAD, DEPRESSED, WEAK, INSECURE, FAT, UGLY – these are not words that express any type of good feeling about one self that’s for sure…
So if you look in the mirror and have any of these adjectives depicting how you feel or how you look at yourself my advice to you today, as in – RIGHT NOW is to get angry and do something about it!
No sugar coating, coddling, pat on the back, its gonna be ok softness here – GET ANGRY and GET TO WORK!
If you desire to be more, to do more then you need to know that the time is now.
HULK OUT – GET MAD and DO SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!
- Throw out the junk food that clutters up the kitchen
- Get Outside and go for a 30 minute walk
- Write down what you don’t like and how you’re going to fix it – this is called setting goals
And if you who are looking for the perfect timing – let me be very clear…
THERE WILL NEVER BE A PERFECT TIMING!
You think you’re busy now? I guarantee your life will continue to be busy and become busier as time marches on. You must make the commitment and the time to yourself.
I get it – You have a full time job, maybe two or three jobs…
A demanding family at home…
We all have the SAME 24 hours in the day and life is not going to slow down – I guarantee it. If you’re angry enough you’re going to do something about it today.
If you’re ok and not frustrated with the way you are, you will make excuses and remain the same.
If you need help with any of this, hit me up… Simply send me a text 804-274-8315 with “I’m ready to HULK OUT!” and we’ll explore different options finding one that will work for you.
In this post I am going to explain exactly why you need to take your intensity up in your training and provide exactly how to do so.
The tips I’m about to uncover WILL invoke the body to re-shape with eye popping, muscle definition, causing the opposite sex to sustain neck injuries from whiplash and weakness in the knees…
Ok, little dramatic there but you get the idea.
Through the concepts I’m going to describe to you, you’re going to learn exactly what you need to do to rev your metabolic rate so high that you’ll burn up body fat even while you’re at home kicked back watching t.v.
Sound too good to be true?
If you’re like most people, this is exactly how you would LOVE to be able to lose fat. You’re doing very little work but melting fat off your body.
Possible? Absolutely. But, only after you put in the hard work with your trainingﬁrst.
It’s pointless to walk into the gym without a clue of what to do.
Unfortunately, this is the plan for most people.
They may get inspired from watching videos online and think they are going to dominate their next workout. Only when they walk in the door its like amnesia sets in and so they resort to the ol faithful cardio deck – ugh the treadmill again 😖 does anyone really enjoy that thing?
I don’t want you dreading another workout or walking around lost so… Continue reading How to Train Like a BOSS
The Maniacs and several new visitors gathered at Mayhem Fitness and Cross Training this past Saturday for an epic Strongman workshop.
We went over form, technique and application of several Strongman implements including:
- Atlas Stones
- Log Clean & Press
- Axel Bar Deadlifts
- Yoke Carry
- Tire Flips
- and everyone’s favorite – Truck Pulls
During our time together there was lots of grunting, laughing and clapping through several new personal records.
Take a look at all the action and join us for the next one. Make sure you’re following us on Instagram and Facebook for updates on upcoming events.
Strongman Saturday Trailer
Ashley gets a new PR on the Log Clean and Press
Tips for a better Overhead Press
See more action on Instagram by clicking here. (be sure to view the Strongman Highlight Tab)
Keep Pounding Yall 👊
Check out this highlight reel of our athletes in all the fun action!
You can also view each event separately in this YouTube Playlist – CLICK HERE to view on YouTube
After that, my full competition recap is posted in the video below.
In it I address:
- Some of the fears and concerns the athletes went through and how they were able to overcome them
- The breakdown of the events and how our athletes performed with each one
- How our athletes were the talk of the competition amongst their peers
- What it takes to become a Champion
- How to become the Strongest version of yourself and why I say the Ultimate Weapon for Personal Development is not found in school, books, podcasts or videos but comes from a Barbell
You can watch the complete recap here:
- Log Clean & Press – Heaviest weight lifted wins – 3 attempts
- Deadlift Medley – Barbell, Axel Bar + Wagon Wheels, Car Deadlift for reps – Most reps wins
- Stone Putt – Farthest Distance wins
- Yoke Ladder – Carry for 80 feet, dropping at each 20 foot marker adding 50 more pounds. Quickest time wins
- Stone of Steel Over Bar – Most reps wins
WEIGHTS FOR OUR WOMEN ATHLETES
- Log – Most weight lifted – 125
- Deadlift – Bar – 250 / Axel – 275 / Car Deadlift – 570
- Stone Putt – 11lbs
- Yoke Ladder – Started at 200, finished at 350
- Stone of Steel – 175lbs
WEIGHTS FOR MASTERS
- Log – PR at 230
- Deadlift – Bar 405 / Axel – 450 / Car – ???
- Stone Putt – 16lbs
- Yoke Ladder – Started at 400 – finished at 550
- Stone of Steel – 250lbs
Results of our athletes
There were 5 girls competing in the Women’s MiddleWeight Novice division
Log Clean & Press – Celeena finished 1st, Liz took 2nd, Hannah 5th
Deadlift Medley – Hannah took 1st, Celeena 2nd and Liz 3rd
Stone Throw – Celeena 1st, Hannah 3rd, Liz 5th
Yoke Ladder – Hannah 1st, Celeena 2nd, Liz 3rd
Stone Over Bar – Celeena 1st, Hannah 4th, Liz 5th
Overall Points – Celeena 23, Hannah 16 and Liz finished 1 point behind the 3rd place finisher at 12
Celeena Buth took home 1st Place 🏆 in Women’s Novice Middleweight
Hannah Harpold took home 2nd Place 🏅 in Women’s Novice Middleweight
In the Mens’ Masters there were 6 of us competing
In the Log, I finished 2nd (same weight as 1st place but I was slower).
In the Deadlift I finished 3rd (again, tied in reps but slower)
In the Stone Throw I finished 5th and damn near took everybody out so 🙈
In the Yoke Ladder I finished 2nd
In Stone Over Bar I finished 4th
I took home 3rd Place 🎖 with a total of 19 points, 6 points behind 1st.
Here is the Full Score Sheet – Leprechaunscoresheet
Everybody came home a Stronger, more confident Champion version of themselves
From left to right (Liz Stephens, Celeena Buth, Sean Murphy, Hannah Harpold)
If you are ready to become the Strongest and Fittest version of yourself, hit me up for Personal Training or Online Coaching / Programming at email@example.com
Keep Pounding 👊
Special Thanks To: Coach, Sean Coffey for organizing and putting on this event.
Iron Asylum Gym – VA Beach VA for hosting the event and to all the sponsors:
- Southside Harley-Davidson
- Oceana Nutrition Corner
- Brian Latuga
- A7 Intl
- Swōl Food
- Cerberus Strength USA
- Born Primitive
- Warrior Genetics Lab
- 5.11 Tactical
- Strike Force
- London Bridge Trading
- Special Ops Survivors
- Aegis Strength & Conditioning LLC
- Play Again Now – Recovery
- Wasserhund Brewing Company
- Jimmy Dillon
Want a fun challenge to add to any workout?
Try on Sally. Use the song, Flower by Moby and perform your reps to the song lyrics. Note: you can do this with just about ANY exercise drill you can think of.
Try it on and see how long you can last.